Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Sunday, July 19, 2009

DAMN YANKEES (...throes of) part 5

Robert E. Lee has attitude, but not the enormity of visual characteristics that plague Mr. Dimaggio, still, I don't think Joe would've lasted as long on hardtack and tea... Regardless, the challenge with Lee is to maintain his sense of dignity and gallantry while pushing his features around and rearranging their priorities. Below is the first serious attempt at distortion. It likely doesn't go far enough. The real task will be keeping the visual faith while moving the point of view to above...(same issue I'm having with Joe: see farther below). Interesting how both fellows are characterized as gallant, respectful heroes...

















© Richard Ewing all rights reserved


Below is the first, somewhat straight study of Bob. (Lookin' a bit impish. Don't tell anybody). And boy! --Talk about hat hair!

















© Richard Ewing all rights reserved


Two small sketch studies attempting to incorporate more of Dimaggio's neck, and a folding of his back & shoulders. As well, I am pushing a slight curvilinear perspective on his facial structure.











© Richard Ewing all rights reserved


Not quite a likeness of Joe as I would like it, I'm still working on angle and form manipulation; I'm starting to dovetail the angles of all the characters. I like that nose. (Small splats are genuine Peet's Garuda Blend coffee drops --for the record).











© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

10 comments:

  1. wonderful work, Mr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis Helenihi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! NICE to hear from you Travis! Been a while. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sadly i lost my artistic abilities, I haven't been able to draw since last febuary, I was also diagnosed as bi-polar and schizo-affective disorder...

    ReplyDelete
  5. im having a schizo episode... i hope your skills doesn't go like mine did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, but i use helenihit@yahoo.com as my main emails now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Ewing...Just wanted to say hello, and your blog is AWESOME!!!! I took classes with you at A.I.


    _ Cesar Lemus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the compliment Cesar, I'm hoping to post with some regularity.

    ReplyDelete