Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Friday, April 23, 2010

DAMN YANKEES (...throes of) part 14

After about a 7 month hiatus, I am finally landed enough to start the inking process for this quadrocoil... (for those of you new to this blog, you'll need to go back to September 2009 and earlier in order to see all the preliminary toils for this illustration).
Below are a few scans of the final as it develops, I blocked in most of the background for Ruth first, developing the value to a mid range in which I began to add a lighter body. The head will contrast more than his costume. My intention is to have the body speak more softly than the head which caries the main thrust of the expression; the body language is contributing, but the head is Gladys Knight, while the body is the Pips... what a pip is exactly, I've never been able to determine. Sorry.
© Richard Ewing all rights reserved
© Richard Ewing all rights reserved
The Jackson below was the first part inked. He's in the background, and will need to be in low contrast. I decided it might be wise to use a quill pen instead of my ubiquitous brush, and so far I'm pleased with the results. It's actually a mix of quill and brush; and by the time it was done I was ready to return primarily to brushwork. Quill for me is a bit slower than brush, and I felt I was driving with the parking break on...

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment