Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Coffee Mugs

Live caricature in this vein is miles away from carnival & event caricature... For one thing, I rarely show the drawings to the victims subjects; for another, these are not meant to be cutesy stylizations to make one happy. Because carnival caricature has the intended audience as the sitter, the conflict of interest becomes a severe limitation, and the visual truth is compromised. If I actually know the subject fairly well, then the distortions can communicate the inner truth (as I see it) about the person as well as their visual irregularities. Doesn't work if I'm being paid by them... no one wants to pay to be flayed and exposed... and I want my freedom.

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved



© Richard Ewing all rights reserved



© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

I don't know these particular people. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment