Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Saturday, July 6, 2013

IF ...Protest/Equality

Blacklisted and later awarded the Kennedy Center Honor from the president all in one lifespan, Pete Seeger lived a life of musical protest for the environment, for disarmament and for civil rights ~among other issues.  Still recording and protesting at the age of 94 it is difficult to find his equal.
Where have all the banjos gone?
 © Richard Ewing.  All rights reserved.
© Richard Ewing.  All rights reserved.
© Richard Ewing.  All rights reserved.
Thank you, and enjoy.

9 comments:

  1. ooooh, I've missed seeing your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice portrait! I love the dual exaggerations - the long, skinny neck and forearm coupled with the oversized head and hand. The angle of his head and facial expression are, well, so expressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mardi.
      The head angle was a lot of fun to do... I especially enjoyed the ears... and the echoes.

      echoes.
      .
      .

      Delete
  3. Pete Seeger is one guy I could appreciate with my parents, and there weren't many musicians we agreed on. I like the angle of his head too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great work of Art...I like the finished product with colours and all....but no surprise, probably...I prefer and am fascinated by your underdrawing! Pete Seeger is amazing...nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this piece is right on the money. I especially like the tension that you achieved with that strap..such a simple element, but it is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice, not too many folks would give much notice to the strap. But, compositionally, its tension allows his head and banjo to escape, and his singing to become all the more louder... ~~my intent anyway.
      .

      Delete
  6. I did not know that about him! Wow. I will say I did for sure notice the strap, the tension across his shoulder and that perfect line of shadow. Terrific composition. As usual! I love that little sketch of the band too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure got that neck of his down pat...and yes...the ears!

    ReplyDelete