Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Sunday, February 27, 2011

IF ...swarm

1963 was a colossal year for many many reasons, one of which may have been Alfred Hitchcock's introduction of mindless terror as evening entertainment... had most folks swarming to (and from) the theaters!
~~"How sweet to be a Cloud Floating in the Blue!" It makes him very proud To be a little cloud~~

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved
Thank you and enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. I really like your original little sketch. The finished piece makes me remember that I'm afraid of birds swooping down at me. Gotta wonder what it was like to live in Hitchcock's head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. I like the little sketch as well... I've constrained myself to the same size for each of these IF illos, but without the constraints I would have added all that extra space below; makes him more isolated compositionally. Adding THAT much space in the composition size I'm working in would have forced Alfred to be too small... It's always a trade~off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hitchcock played the suspense card exceedingly well in The Birds. (I thought I was over this trauma until I saw your post.) I like that you've chosen to have Alfred become the prey in this scenario ... plus the added suspense of the fall to earth. Turnabout is fair play. Love his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not the eye!....gads the thought of it still terrifies me. The little sketch is great. I love the bloody drip of red.

    You really captured the ponderous personality of the Hitchcock...vulnerable in a moment of suspense

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice interplay of elements: both subject and line, form, color, and motion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Richard! Love the way your birds are darting toward him as such speed they are barely recognizable, but defined enough to send chills down my spine. That movie scared the heck out of me!! I really like Alfred’s body... those short legs with his round belly are perfect!~ I think you went the right way in the “trade-off”. I love the detail. The little sketch gives us the air between him and the ground idea... glad you included it.

    ReplyDelete