Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Artwork & Words © Richard Ewing all rights reserved

Sunday, December 19, 2010

IF ...mail

Among his hundreds of other responsibilities, in 1775 the 2nd Continental Congress appointed Ben Franklin Postmaster General (as opposed to Postmaster Specific). He folded his duties into his pocket, put his stamp on the office, and was often found to be pushing the envelope...

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved

© Richard Ewing all rights reserved
Thank you and enjoy.

16 comments:

  1. I did it! I did it! I tried to figure out who you would charicaturize this week. Great Ben Franklin! Love the folded brow :o) Merry Christmas Richard to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm a total fan now. This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! The 3D effect of Ben's face popping out of a flattened surface is really intriguing - especially the realism in his eyes. Also, I like how the crinkles in the face and hair contrast with Ben's flat, soft body. Nice subdued, stately palette too. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the concept is perfect for "mail". concept and drawing "drew" the best of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All he needs is a stamp on his forehead :) Clever all the way around. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are of the same mind regarding the stamp... ~if you click on stage two (the ink line) you'll see a pencil of the stamp I considered for his forehead. I decided against it as it drew too much attention away from the flow of the composition... and besides, with Ben being postmaster general, there was no postage necessary if illustrated in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I love looking at the process and the finished product is absolutely awesome. I enjoyed reading your post too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!! His face totally trips me out haha it's so cool, I really like how the final piece came out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok - this is a wonderful - what a great take on the prompt...so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing work... Franklin was an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is fabulous! love your creative take on the words and it's great to see how the llo evolved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic!

    This is my favorite to date! An inspired use of the major plans.

    ReplyDelete